Sunday, October 7, 2012

Wanderlust

http://www.youtube.com/w
atch?v=-BrDlrytgm8 


STA Travel is a travel agency that caters pacifically to students, mainly college students. In this simple, one mine ad, they have successfully reminded me that I want to travel to each and every places shown. In the case of this particular commercial, I think its simplicity is the key ingredient to its success. Capitalizing on the short attention span of the average college student, STA manages to flash what seems like hundreds of pictures in front of the viewers eyes, all within 61 seconds. These picture, which are major scenes from all around the world, all have one thing in common - the same twenty something man is walking in the middle of each one, presumably documenting his travels around the world.
The song playing in the background has no words, and each beat seems to match the switching of pictures.

Mind you, it isn't hard to sell the idea of studying and/or traveling abroad, so some may say STA has it easy. The idea may not be hard to sell, but, the actual plane tickets etc., are, especially in this economy. For every airline ad, Groupon or frequent flyer mile brochure I have seen, nothing evokes my sense of wanderlust like this commercial. Each scene, I found myself mentally noting places I have gone and places I have been, watching over and over again to make sure I didn't miss anything.

It isn't telling me where to go. It isn't telling me what to think. It isn't telling me what to buy or what to eat or where to stay. It is simply telling me to go somewhere, anywhere and experience all the world has to offer, a message of choice and freedom I feel our generation values greatly.



No comments:

Post a Comment