Sunday, October 28, 2012

BIng! The Difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=xSwoZMmf_xY

Google, Yahoo, Bing - The list of search engines goes on and on. The competition and consumer preference between them is well known, and even spawns users to pit said search engines against each other (the winner generally provides the best or funniest answer to a question). But what is the actual difference between the three? Here's what I know about each one:

-Google is my go to for anything I need to know. As a History major, Google Scholar is my best friend. They change the way the word "google" is written on special occasions, and have been pretty cool as of late.
-Yahoo seems to have a lot of celebrity news on their homepage. I never use it.
-Bing had a commercial in which it played an awesome song by the Lumineers.

But these things are trivial, what is the real differences between these search engines? More importantly, how am I supposed to know?

Unlike Bing's previous advertisement, which again, featured a killer song by the Dever based Lumineers, didn't really tell me what the search engine did that was different. This new series of commercials, however, not only tells but shows the user in what way Bing is different from Google, and how to use it properly aka maximizing benefits and search results. I find it extremely helpful, and it made me actually consider Bing as a search engine, especially on non scholarly issues on which another opinion could be useful. I think that actually showing how to use their website was just the advertising Bing needed to gain a users.


No comments:

Post a Comment