Sunday, September 16, 2012

You Can Judge a Book by It's Cover


My bookshelf is my most prized possession. As a bibliophile and future (hopefully) archivist, I pay attention to books wherever I go.  Though, usually, I try not to judge books by their covers, it happens from time to time - there is just something so enjoyable to me about an aesthetically pleasing bookshelf. This summer I had two reading oriented goals, the first of which being to read as many "classics" as I could. During one of my Amazon "window" shopping spree, whilst looking for an inexpensive copy of Pride and Prejudice,  I came across Penguin's reprinted classics, all of which have unique, patterned covers. After viewing the collection, I became obsessed; the pastel colors, antique designs, hard covers and all over vintage feel had me hooked. I needed them, all of them. After receiving one for my birthday from a friend and one for Christmas, both from friends whom had said that when they saw it, they bought of me immediately (apparently these books are"so Emily"), I began to realize that the simple book cover was certainly a sort of "brand".  Penguin would not have reprinted classics, which are readily available everywhere, if they did not think they would make money off of them. But who exactly are they targeting? The colors and designs, though by no means juvenile, certainly don't scream grandmother either. They are sold at stores like Anthropologie and seem to be mostly purchased by twentysomthing women.

So why would I buy these books over a two dollar copy of Wuthering Heights at a local bookstore? They definitely present an image, and it is an image I like, whatever that image may be.  It hadn't occurred to me that something as simple as a book cover could present such a distinct image, much less make money., and I certainly hadn't thought of them as a way of branding.

No comments:

Post a Comment